Students currently in 8th-11th grades may apply for High School Arts Instruction.
The NOCCA Classical Vocal Music Department accepts talented students who have an aptitude and interest in pursuing classical vocal music. The Vocal Music Curriculum is designed to develop the student’s vocal technique, performance skills, and musicianship. Classes include Voice Class (vocal technique and repertoire), Music Theory, Musicianship (ear training and sight singing), Piano Class, Opera Workshop and Choral Ensemble.
At the live in-person audition, which will take approximately 10-15 minutes, you will be asked to:
- Demonstrate a singing voice with potential in classical music by singing one prepared and memorized song from the following list:
o Any Italian art song from the 24 Italian Art song book (G. Shirmer). We recommend Caro mio ben or Sebben crudele for beginning students.
o One of these songs: “Danny Boy," “Drink to Me Only with Thine Eyes"
o Two verses of a hymn
o A traditional spiritual
No other song genres are permitted. Some of these songs are linked below for download. Please bring the sheet music in your key for our accompanist to play for you at your audition. You must sing with our piano accompanist- no a capella singing, please. Please dress appropriately for an audition (in nice clothes) and memorize your audition piece.
- Demonstrate the ability to match pitches and melodies that will be played for you on the piano.
- Repeat clapped rhythms (example available in link below).
- Sing a major scale ascending and descending.
- Be able to discuss with the Vocal Music faculty your grades and your desire to explore Classical Vocal Music.
- Demonstrate basic music sight-reading skills involving simple rhythmic and melodic sequences (An example of the sight singing may be downloaded from the link below)
- Answer basic music theory questions.
- Read aloud a short poem in English that will be given to you at the audition.
click here for clapped rhythm and sight singing examples and click here for song examples.
In addition to individual department requirements, all applicants will:
- Upload to the application a 1-2 minute video of the applicant answering the question, “Why do I want to train at NOCCA?"
- Upload to the application a copy of the most recent report card. Applicants must have at least a 2.0 GPA.
- Be prepared with the email of an adult who is not related to you to complete your recommendation. Your recommender will receive an email from Acceptd with a link to fill out a recommendation form online.
Pianist Leslie Cain, D.M.A., has been widely praised for her delicate touch and nuanced sense of color at the keyboard. Born and raised in Los Angeles, she completed her Bachelor’s degree at the Manhattan School of Music, where she studied with André-Michel Schub.…
Born to a family of music enthusiasts in Ukraine, Liliia quickly showed interest in piano, guitar, and singing. As a child she spent countless hours learning to play the piano by ear, playing tunes she heard her dad sing.…
Emerging tenor Mark-Anthony Thomas is a native of New Orleans, Louisiana. He is graduate of the New Orleans Center for the Creative Arts, where he studied vocal music and received a Certificate of Artistry under the tutelage of Phyllis Treigle.…
Phyllis Treigle is a native of New Orleans and is the daughter of the great bass-baritone Norman Treigle.…