Students currently in 8th-11th grades may apply.
The NOCCA Classical Vocal Music Department accepts talented students who have an aptitude and interest in pursuing classical vocal music. The Vocal Music Curriculum is designed to develop the student’s vocal technique, performance skills, and musicianship. Classes include Voice Class (vocal technique and repertoire), Music Theory, Musicianship (ear training and sight singing), Piano Class, Opera Workshop and Choral Ensemble.
Include with your completed application:
Demonstrate a singing voice with potential in classical music by recording and uploading a video of you singing one prepared and memorized song from the following list:
- Any Italian art song from the 24 Italian Art song book ( G. Shirmer). We recommend Caro mio ben or Sebben crudele for beginning students.
- One of these songs: “Danny Boy," “Drink to Me Only with Thine Eyes."
- Two verses of a hymn.
- A traditional spiritual.
No other song genres are permitted. Some of these songs may be downloaded from our website. Please make a video recording of you singing this song and upload it with your application. You may use live accompaniment, recorded accompaniment, or sing a capella. It is your preference. Please stand to sing and face the camera. Please dress appropriately for an audition (in nice clothes).
At the live virtual audition you will be asked to:
- Demonstrate the ability to match pitches and melodies that will be played for you on the piano
- Repeat clapped rhythms.
- Sing a major scale ascending and descending.
- Be able to discuss with the Vocal Music faculty your grades and your desire to explore Classical Vocal Music.
- Demonstrate basic sight-reading skills involving simple rhythmic and melodic sequences (An example of the sight singing may be downloaded from our website)
- Answer basic music theory questions.
- Read aloud a short poem in English that will be given to you at the audition.
Pianist Leslie Cain, D.M.A., has been widely praised for her delicate touch and nuanced sense of color at the keyboard. Born and raised in Los Angeles, she completed her Bachelor’s degree at the Manhattan School of Music, where she studied with André-Michel Schub.…
Born to a family of music enthusiasts in Ukraine, Liliia quickly showed interest in piano, guitar, and singing. As a child she spent countless hours learning to play the piano by ear, playing tunes she heard her dad sing.…
Emerging tenor Mark-Anthony Thomas is a native of New Orleans, Louisiana. He is graduate of the New Orleans Center for the Creative Arts, where he studied vocal music and received a Certificate of Artistry under the tutelage of Phyllis Treigle.…