Students currently in 8th-11th grades may apply for High School Arts Instruction.
The Drama Division of Theatre Arts seeks to assist young theater students in discovering who they are as an artist. Through rigorous training, we hope to prepare them for conservatory-style college programs and for a career in theater.
Our program gives students the opportunity to study acting in depth – not only through traditional scene study and the performance of monologues, but through Movement training modalities such as Suzuki Training, Commedia, Le Coq, mask work and Viewpoints. They will receive foundational training in vocal technique for the stage and explore improvisational work in order to build listening skills, spontaneity and an understanding of comedy. Students will also have the ability to pursue theatrical interests beyond acting through courses in playwriting, directing and devising for the theater.
We hope to instill in young artists the importance of collaboration in an ensemble and the ability to improve their work through the application of notes from constructive critique. We hope our students will leave NOCCA with a sense of where they fit in the world of theater, an ability to make the most of future training, and most importantly, that they will bring willingness, courage and open-mindedness into their future careers.
Include with your completed application:
A photo of yourself. It can be an informal picture or a professional headshot; as long as the photo is current, clear and an accurate likeness. Beware the blurry selfie!
A resume (or a list) with the experiences you have had in theatre-the experiences that are most important and formative to you. Include classes, lessons, and workshops, as well as any performance experiences. Help us get to know you as a performer.
At the audition:
- You will be asked to participate in exercises that will require some movement. Please wear clothes and shoes that will allow you to move safely and freely.
- Respond spontaneously in directed improvisational exercises.
- Perform a memorized monologue selection provided by the Drama Department (see below for the list of acceptable choices/NO ORIGINAL SPEECHES OR POEMS) and be familiar with the play from which the monologue was taken.
- You may be asked to participate in an individual interview if the faculty needs further clarification concerning your application to NOCCA
In addition to individual department requirements, all applicants will:
- Upload to the application a 1-2 minute video of the applicant answering the question, “Why do I want to train at NOCCA?"
- Upload to the application a copy of the most recent report card. Applicants must have at least a 2.0 GPA.
- Be prepared with the email of an adult who is not related to you to complete your recommendation. Your recommender will receive an email from Acceptd with a link to fill out a recommendation form online.